Announcing the KP Digital Accessibility Learning Series
on KP Learn
June 2020: Article by Jenny Lu, MCoE Consumer Portfolio Manager and
Michelle Watson, MCoE Engagement Manager
In order to create a more accessible and inclusive digital experience for all, the KP Digital Accessibility Program has launched a new learning series on how to design, develop, and test a fully inclusive and compliant experience for people with different disabilities. In partnership with Deque, 18 courses are now available to everyone at KP who has access to KP Learn – at no cost to departments.
Highlights for project teams responsible for developing mobile applications include:
- Accessibility Fundamentals – Disabilities, Guidelines, and Laws – This course provides an overview of important web accessibility concepts, suitable for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Accessibility Testing with Screen Readers – This will detail testing techniques for VoiceOver and TalkBack as well as other screen readers.
- iOS Native Mobile App Accessibility – How people with disabilities use iOS devices, how to use VoiceOver, applying accessibility guidelines to iOS design and development, accessibility considerations for touch device devices. Includes examples with sample code.
- Android Native Mobile App Accessibility – How people with disabilities use Android devices, how to use Talkback, applying accessibility guidelines to Android design and development, accessibility considerations for touch device devices. Includes examples with sample code.
- Visual Design and Colors – Techniques for accessible visual design, including use of color, color contrast, visual layout, visual focus indicator, etc.
- Responsive Design and Zoom – Techniques for mobile device and low vision design and zoom.
- Understanding Accessibility in Mobile Applications – This course, designed by MCoE, is a general introduction to accessibility for project teams responsible for developing mobile applications.
Thank you for reading this article by Jenny Lu and Michelle Watson. Please take a minute to send us your questions or feedback about this submission at MCoE-Comms@kp.org. Let us know if you have a mobile themed topic or suggestion for upcoming editions of the MCoE Newsletter!
Stay up-to-date with mobility industry technical news; access to tech news archive.
MCoE Partnership – Contact us
KAISER PERMANENTE exists to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
The MCoE (Mobility Center of Excellence) team exists to deliver complex mobile solutions through enterprise-wide engagements. We design, develop, certify, and deploy mobile apps for KP members, providers, and workforce. Submit a MCoE intake form for access to app services, kits, and advice.
Email us to subscribe to our newsletter and ask about our tech-newsletter for developer partner updates.