Express Arrival (eArrival)
Express Arrival (eArrival) is an enhancement to the Express Check-In (ECI) app that will allow members who use ECI in the future to save time by using their smartphone to let their doctor know when they arrive and are ready to be seen for their appointment—no need to wait in line for a kiosk or to see a receptionist. ECI allows a member to check-in online for an appointment at a time and place that is convenient for them.
Objective & Goals
The study was conducted to identify end-users’ preference on three design concepts for eArrival.
- Uncover Usability/UX issues.
- Can users navigate the three eArrival design options with ease, clarity, and fluidity?
- Can users successfully complete the eArrival process without confusion?
- How do users feel about the overall designs concepts of eArrival?
- What are common overall reactions to the three design options?
- Which of the three design options do users prefer and why?
- Gauge users overall experience with eArrival.
Three Designs Options
SMS 2-way texting
Prompt member to complete the “I’m here” step by responding to an SMS text.
eArrival in the ECI App
Prompt members to sign on to ECI to complete the “I’m here” step in the app.
Prompt member to add an eArrival reminder to their personal calendar.
Remote Moderated Usability Study
- Participants (13) were asked to speak their thought processes “aloud” as they were navigating through the three eArrival design options.
- Participants were asked to evaluate their experiences with each design option – what they liked, what they didn’t like, if anything was confusing throughout the process, and what recommendations they may have etc.
- Participants were asked to rate the speed and the level of ease for each design option.
- Participants were asked to imagine that they were navigating the eArrival design options on their personal smartphone.
- All participants want an eArrival option that is intuitive and quick to complete. Participants want to “save time.”
- Most participants (9) prefer the eArrival via SMS 2-way texting design option, followed by eArrival in the ECI App (3) and Calendaring (1).
- All participants would recommend eArrival to other KP members – fast, easy, and the ability to skip long lines at the reception desk.
- All participants envision themselves using eArrival in real-life. Reasons include: saves time, quick and easy process, ability to avoid long lines at the reception desk, not having to speak with the receptionist and/or automation preferences.
SMS 2-way texting design option for eArrival based on participants’ overall experience and feedback of the design. The SMS 2-way texting design offers members a quick, intuitive, and user-friendly flow to conclude the ECI process.
“That was the easiest check in that I’ve ever done in my life.” Lorene
“I don’t know why everything can’t be that easy.” Peju
“Feels like the reminders are coming to me. It’s coming directly to me… Feels like the least amount of work I need to do to check-in.” Christine